Thursday, June 21, 2007

Your mission, which you should reject and run screaming the other way: Project Negative Value

When I joined this Ship of the Damned more than a year ago, my predecessor made fleeting mention to Project Negative Value as if it was a done deal. It turns out she too was infected with the pernicious optimism that has struck many a coworker in this institution.

For starters, she didn't call it by its proper name, she called it something more like "Daisies and ponies and cupcakes." But let me tell you. Even if you bought a tons of all three, it wouldn't be nearly as expensive or ridiculous as Project Negative Value. In fact, negative value is only one of the valuable phrases I've learnt in my position. The other key phrase is Eyewash, which will be dealt with separately.

Story: When I was younger and still residing in the bosom of my familial unit, my mother told me the cardinal rule of any contractual work is that you should automatically add 50% to the highest bid and assume that is the true cost. That's for work like getting that deck built. I am assuming that large institutional work type projects that involve for serious work would be 75-100% tack on estimate clause. But then again, I was never an optimist.

Cost and practicality were introduced to the project with the last four months or so. That's not fair, there were a couple people who always knew the score, despite the fact that the masses were apparently inhabiting a parallel universe. The savvy persons were told to keep quiet and stop raining on their parade of fools. Even with the recent smack of reality, the majority still maintains plausibility to the project. I am of the opinion that there is equal plausibility to bankruptcy in the near future.

It is as if the institution has arrived at the point that is similar to in the Wasteland: "What shall I do, whatever shall I do?" They are running around with their heads in the clouds and blithely unaware of the imminent danger posed by Project Negative Value. Or they are playing at this: millions have been spent and they refuse to admit they are throwing the money into the dirty water of the bay hand over fist, so they will soldier on in vain.

Project Negative Value Timeline

No comments: