Friday, June 1, 2007

That's Hugh to you, part 1

On the final leg of my morning commute, I was seated on the shuttle, which was stopped due to the MUNI bus blocking us in temporarily, when Hugh came pounding on the door like a man being chased by the very hounds of hell. Hugh was referenced in an earlier post about creative engines as the principle perpetuator of the term.

Hugh is not his name, as you might imagine, I try to avoid libel charges in all my hobbies and timekills. But thanks to his tremendously skilled floppy hair, it is the name he will be known on the records of this blog. As a senior staff member, he is someone I interact with on a fairly regular basis. He reminds me of a puppy, one who, when he gets really excited, wets himself. Not that Hugh does. But when in comes to boyish belief structures and faith, he wins the Oscar.

Anyway, to continue the story, Hugh loped onto the bus with his usually irrepressible bounce. He gave me a big goofy smile, and I commented on his ability to make everything a production. Then I retreated behind the sonic wall of my ipod. Not a wonderful story. But what I wanted to comment on was that his hair seems to have regained its previous aggressive flop.

Because there is a difference between Hugh's floppy follicles and those of the average fellow. Hugh's hair seems to be able to convey his overall emotional state. Usually it has a jauntiness to it. However, in March - May his hair flopped feebly, telegraphing his distress at being confronted with the cruel reality that lay behind his pet project at work. The project willed be referred to as Negative Value to maintain confidentiality for work purposes.

As the name indicates, the reality behind Project Negative Value was not a friendly one, and in response to that Hugh's hair deflated into a lifeless rag. He also turned this funny gray/ashen hue that made me wonder if I needed to call in paramedics during some of the Meetings of DOOM.

We are please to report that now, both Hair and Hugh are doing well. (Volumizing Gel?)

No comments: