Monday, June 18, 2007

Curling for beginners

Oh, who doesn't love the Winter Olympics? I certainly do. And not just because I will always cherish fond memories of folding nearly 600 paper cranes for a dear friend's wedding in February of 2006 while watching the games. No, I love it because it inspires people to take up sports that seem so much more doable than synchronized swimming, such as curling.

I haven't actually ever curled (played curling, done it, whatever the proper term is). I am not trying to demean curling. There is a lot of strategy that goes into it. And having hefted a curling stone, I know it's not like tiddly-winks. But I have seen curling fever strike. Random people will decide to get together and opine strongly over how great a sport it is and how they have a yen to give it a go.

Be warned. Resist the urge. Curling is not for beginners. It is for people who feel at ease in icy situations. And it should never be attempted in the Workplace.

I know, because I have just watched my boss (Earnesto, let's call him) perform the equivalent of beginner's curling with office arrangements. Let's just say that one hopes that they way an office is set up has more to do with strategy than it does gratuitous movement and the random shifting of heavy objects. I mean, when does it make sense to split up a department and move an office just to move an office? This isn't Art for Art's sake. It's a workplace.

Until now, when it is the office version of curling for beginners.

No comments: