Friday, June 15, 2007

And the Spurs Win!

One miserable day in April, I had to go to a baseball game for work. It's a long story, but for me, it was terrible (akin to being in the Inferno at the level where you are in the giant Iron robes walking around and being roasted). And at the game a fellow tried to point out that a fan is someone who loves a sport; someone whole loves only one team in a sport is a fanatic. And when it comes to NBA basketball, I am a Spurs fanatic. But I also like to think I am a fan of basketball.

And Thursday was a victory for both. With the Spurs winning the championship, my life reached a happy point only exceeded by the time they won it in 2003 on Father's day for David Robinson to retire in style. I loved the whole world (except for Anderson Varejao for being outrageously overrated). For one brief "shining moment" I even didn't want to beat down Eva Longoria for being so ridiculous and having dated J. C. Chasez at the same time she dated Tony (there is no excuse).

Don't tell me that anything detracts from this. Don't talk to me about suspensions and fixing the playoffs. I think that's a lot of sour grapes from Fanatics from other teams. How long must we suffer the whining of Knicks and Celtics fanatics before we realize that just because at one point in time they were great does no entitle them to greatness in perpetuity? I have less sympathy for them than those people who have never reached the elite level.

If you are fans for the sport, then you will accept that the best team won, and they proved they were the best by winning 16 games they had to win, closing out games, having discipline, and otherwise "kickin' them while they're down." The Spurs are not boring. The Spurs didn't break basketball. That was the fanatic.

Really, what you know is if you were a fan you would know that a good solid rebound is great, no matter the uniform. You would appreciate the fact that 82 (I think that is what someone said on the telecast) year-old Robert Horry threw down a fabulous Game 3. You would not write-off the Spurs as what is wrong with Basketball.

Do you really want to know why people like March madness soooo much. Because in general, it is full of 64 teams that you don't have fanatical tendencies towards. How many of us are actually invested in Xavier? No, it is a chance to bet, and watch games without a bunch a bias and be a fan.


So I will wait until October/ November and watch every game on TV next year, and Tivo the Spurs, and in the end, I will be watching the Finals, even if the Spurs by some really twisted reason are not in them. But, if that is the case, know also that the fanatic inside of me is spending the timeouts constructing an effigy of the team that beat the Spurs, and will be burning it during the 3rd quarter break.

But this year, I got what I wanted!! Spurs Win!

No comments: