Tuesday, June 26, 2007

That's Hugh to you, two

You know how some people may have at one point been attractive to you, even in a vague way, but without the unwanted and unappreciated assistance of an annoying friend to jog your memory, you couldn't say if you ever did? I mean, because that person's fair visage has been dimmed by reality, tarnished by the simple fact that you would swear in a court of law that he is a flaming idiot. I have a feeling that this is how many women (and maybe some men, who knows) feel about Hugh.

I vehemently disclaim that I was ever attracted to him. you will find no one who would ever say that I did. Mostly I was in awe of his flopsome (floppy+awesome, that's right, his hair gets a portmanteau word, though probably not used in the same way) hair. And then quickly horrified at his reliance on that standby, boyish charm. I am strongly prejudiced against boyish charm when it is the prop and stay of a man's relationships (but not necessarily boyish charms). Develop some substance! Anyway, my disenchantment hit before enchantment even had a chance to start, like in -2 seconds.

So I was astonished to find that one of my more irascible coworkers had a death defying (he's that unrealistically optimistic) crush on Hugh. She said she would go to any meeting he's in, and would take notes or tape it when he presents. I have had the misfortune of seeing his presentations, and organize many meetings he participates in, I would rather lose my one remaining baby tooth than go.

And here is a great story about a great story. I was riding the shuttle home one day with Hugh and another coworker. They decided to try to tell me a tale about a conference they had gone to in October. One of the evenings they had gone out in a large group drinking and dancing. Apparently Hugh is a Dancing Fiend, so talented that another attendee, some random woman he had never met, could no longer resist and tore his shirt right off, popping the buttons down the front. But the best part about the story was his insistence on reenacting it in the aisle way for everyone else on the shuttle. When he got to the ripping bit, he tugged so hard on his shirt he nearly did lose a button. I averted my eyes. After all, I am young and impressionable.

Ok, young and jaded is the official verdict, but no one deserves to see that.

And I'm not saying that Hugh is a flaming idiot. yet.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

NO NO NO - THAT STORY IS NUTS!