Monday, July 2, 2007

This Charming Man, or is it Charmless Man

As stated before, I am not a big believer in Boyish Charm. Boyish Charm is capitalized because I am quite sure somewhere out there there is a name brand can producted that most men who employ Boyish Charm use. Like Velveeta.

Boyish Charm is alright when it is used sparingly. Like a flash of a boyish smile to punctuate a particular flirtation. In this case, it is all the better because of the rarity of use. I am strongly against the carpet bombing technique of Boyish Charm, when it's the one and only modus operandi. Then it assumes a cloying nature and makes me want to beat the man.

For example, knew this guy once who was such a charmer. It was nice at first, but then, it wasd irritating. You could never get a stright answer from him, it was always something carefullly calculated to be chart-toppingly charming, almost to the point of nonsensicalness. I swear, if I had asked him to watch my pet guinea pig (mythical, by the way, I have no pets), he probably would have said "Anything for you, darling heart. I will cherish this time with the creature as if it was time spent with you, and plan our future together" If you can't tell via the written word if this is sarcastic, then good, you can't tell when he said it either.

Actually, Boyish Charm is a label I think I am using to describe all excessive charm, including Roguish Charm, Winning Charm, etc. I label it Boyish Charm because it is mainly employed by males. Sweeping Generalization? Yes. But behind the bias lives the truth. Woman rely on wiafishness and other forms of faux-naivete. Men use charm.

So think, next time someone is trying to charm your socks off. Charm or substance? Please only give them your socks if the charm has a little more behind it than nice eyelashes and a rakish smile.

No comments: