Monday, October 29, 2007

A Very Special Episode

I grew up without a TV.

?? you may say, did you also live in a cave?

Why, no, I did not. I lived in a lovely house in the suburbs of Portland and I had no TV, so consequently, I never knew the joys of the "very special episode" until I grew older and had an early morning health class whose curriculum seemed to consist only of these. Like the 90210 when Brenda thought she was pregnant. Or the 7th Heaven where, oh wait, all 7th Heaven episodes are very special. There were also a lot of made for TV movies. Lifetime should sue for royalties.

But not to be irreverent, today feels like I have been trapped in one of these.

I admit, what has happened here is tragic. I don't feel like I can share this sort of details about the lives of others, but it is tragic. Still, I have the claustrophobic feeling of being trapped in a cliché. In a world of infinite possibilities, it is odd how often things fall into a predictable pattern. Maybe it's like I heard at one meeting, humans have no idea how to generate a truly random sequence of events.

No comments: