Sunday, May 20, 2007

And What, pray tell, is a creative Engine?

Men, I understand, in the general way of things are pretty big into engines. I know this is a sweepingly broad statement that fails to account for the men who know nothing about engines and the women who love the things. But perhaps this generality explains the incredibly meteoric rise in the company catchphrase "Creative Engines" and its variant, "Engines of Creativity."

What is a Creative Engine? I had the chance to ask the originator of the phrase, or the perpetuator. Fortunately, or unfortunately, he was drunk at the time, and all he could say was things like 'shops,' 'ideas,' and 'groovy.' Not very illuminating.

My thought is it is a phrase designed to be somehow inspirational and yet still vague enough to allow them to not know what they are doing or commit them to something solid. And I hate the term. It makes us sound life we are all at work driving leopard print big rigs or something, or some crazy train.

I made that point (unwisely) to the co-perpetuator of the term, and oh, he has yet to forgive me. Imagine an executive huffing about how I don't grasp the nuances of the term. He wouldn't share those nuances. That's super-top-secret. That's on a need-to-know basis, and apparently, NO ONE needs to know.

I just wish that I had some pictures of potential creative engines.

No comments: