Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Total Eclipse of the Heart

Fooled you, didn't I? What I have to say has nothing to do with my heart and has to do with perception, interpretation, and analysis.

Because we deal in language and not direct thought transference, we have all been trained to make logical assumptions based on the communications and behavior of those around us.

For example, when I title my blog "Total Eclipse of the Heart," you might reasonably think, 'she has a story that ties back into the Bonnie Tyler classic song,' and then extrapolate based on your own experiences what that might be, within the realm of limited realistic possibilities. IF I had a story, say about the time I went to Jazzercise with my sister in the 90s and that was one of the songs and the routine was hilarious mostly due to the man in a modified unitard who knew all the words, you probably would not have assigned that specific scenario to the likely stories, but it would be close to the one about Karaoke or some such thing.

Well, the above story did take place, but that is not why I am writing on this the busy of busy days. I am writing to make the point that if you knew me, personally, you might know that that is one of the songs I feel it is nearly impossible to get out of your head, and thus, is an important torture device. If I were feeling particularly devious, I would have titled this "Leaving on a Jet Plane." Behold, my deviosity.

But Interpretation of what I say is based on background, and experience, and overall analytical capabilities. And I am University trained to read between the lines and extract little bits of truth that I will piece together until I find something that reasonably assumes the shape of feasible reality.

Point of the Exercise: Despite the frequent speeches I hear about not having a clue about what is going on in Project Negative Value, I am going to say I think I have a pretty good notion of the picture, thanks muchly, and it is a picture painted in the red. I would offer up specific estimates, but I cannot in good faith do so (publicly, at least).

I will make up for my tricks by telling you a good story next time about a disco. A Mobile disco. (not Simian Mobile Disco) But come on, you know you loved the link. That one is for you, Ms. Murdock. That one's for you. This one is for Paul or Ian.

No comments: